What a difference 3 years makes - Cassandra 2.x, CQL, Java, Clojure, and Node APIs

Originally published February 2, 2014

It has been a few years since I had a need for Cassandra (I now have a pilot project for which I would like a scalable data store). I grabbed the latest Cassandra source from github and I have been looking at some of the code, and running it locally also with the CQL shell. I know that CQL has been around for a while, but this is my first experience with it. Huge improvement. I really like it.

I am still trying to decide if I want to use Java (version 8), Clojure or Javascript but the newest Java driver for Cassandra, the Clojure wrapper alia for this driver, and the node-cassandra-cql all look very good.

I give up some tunable degree of consistency (the "C" in "ACID") with Cassandra but I can easily live with that in my project. For now "developer friendliness" is really important to me since I am just experimenting with some ideas but if I need to I would like to be able to scale without changing my code.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller