Less Java and Clojure, more JavaScript

Originally published January 21, 2014

... and, almost no Ruby.

I have always been a polyglot (programmer who uses many programming languages). Since 1974, I have easily been paid to design and write software in over a dozen languages. I still really like (love!!) Clojure as a language, Java is very practical for many applications because of the JVM's efficiency and the wonderful Java library and framework ecosystem. I don't use Ruby very much anymore except for small utilities.

Why JavaScript? The primary reason is that I am writing a JavaScript book ("Build Intelligent Systems with JavaScript") and the secondary reason is most of my development efforts are centering around Meteor right now. The more I use Meteor, the more impressed I am. I am not yet a highly skilled JavaScript programmer (I just use a small bit of the language, and rely in IntelliJ with jslint always running to keep me mostly out of trouble) but JavaScript is a good-enough language and I find languages that compile to JavaScript like ClojureScript and CoffeeScript to be a little more trouble than they are worth (although I read and digest every article I see on ClojureScript on Hacker News). I have written the same sort of web app in both Clojure + ClojureScript and in JavaScript + Meteor and I find the Meteor experience to be more effective.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives