Experience Working at Google

Originally published October 8, 2013

I haven't blogged in a while because I have been busy getting used to working as a contractor at Google. My wife Carol and I have also been busy getting settled living in Silicon Valley and exploring the area. I have somewhat reluctantly put my new book project Build Intelligent Systems with JavaScript on hold. You may wonder about my writing a book using Javascript examples when I am so enthusiastic about using Clojure, ClojureScript, and Ruby. I decided that the use of Javascript is so pervasive that it would be useful to write a good reference and source of examples using JavaScript for knowledge representation, AI, semantic web, graph databases (and other NoSQL data stores), relational databases, and general information gathering and reuse. I enjoy writing Javascript code while working in IntelliJ with JSLint turned on to warn errors and style warnings.

I think that I will mostly be using Java for development at Google. The training classes and learning materials are excellent. I feel like I am a very tiny cog in a very, very large machine, and as I told my family, so far I am a happy little cog.

The stories about the food at Google are all true: it is of exceptional high quality: tasty and healthy. There are many restaurants/cafes on the campus. So far, I have just been eating at four of them near to where I work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives