Great joy in the world - Java 8 released

Originally published March 18, 2014

I have been using pre-release versions of Java 8 for a long time but it is great to have an official release. You can get it here.

I have found that lambdas and streams have been very useful features.

Many people, myself included, worried about the future of Java when Oracle bought the bones of Sun Microsystems. I must say now that I think Oracle has been doing a good job supporting Java.

I would like to convert most of my open source Java projects to Java 8, taking advantage of new features as appropriate. The problem is that I hate to break backwards compatibility for people who aren't going to update soon. I probably should not update the code examples for my Java books either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives