Technical diversity

Originally published May 1, 2014

A few times in my technical career/life I have tried to concentrate on one language, one stack (when doing web apps). This usually does not work out for me both because I have diverse interests and customers want me to use a variety of tech.

I have several deployed web apps using Clojure (and Clojurescript for one), one using Meteor.js, and a few Ruby/Sinatra apps for customers.

I am playing with Haskell/Yesod and I really like the type checking right down to web assets but due to my relative inexperience with this stack it does not yet seem agile to me. I have experimented with Pharo Smalltalk and Seaside quite a bit over the years, and to some extent Seaside and Meteor.js fill the same ecological niche for me (rich client web apps).

For general programming I also can't settle on one language.

I think that I am going to give up trying to settle on using just one or two languages and live with the overhead of staying spun up on different technologies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller