Experimenting with Apple's new language Swift

Originally published June 3, 2014

To be honest, I have always considered developing for Apple's platforms to be less than a joyful experience. When the Mac first came out in 1984 I developed the AI application ExperOPS5, which did well financially but at a cost of a steep learning curve (there were many "telephone book like" Inside Mac manuals to be read, and the tooling was not great.) I also developed a commercial Go playing program for the Apple II which was a lot of fun but painful because the UCSD Pascal development environment was so slow.

Anyway, enough of my complaining about the distant past! I was pleased to see Apple's announcement yesterday of a new programming language Swift that seems to have copied nice features from Rust and functional languages like Haskell. I did a quick skim of the free Swift book and downloaded the XCode 6 beta IDE that supports Swift.

Swift seems like a practical language. I like that there are no pointers except for the inout keyword in function arguments that allow changing values of passed in variables - I am sure that none of us would want to do that! I do wish that the language was even more compact, but really, it seems pretty good.

The XCode 6 beta IDE supports "playgrounds" that are like the worksheets provided by the Scala IDE and by Lightable for Clojure and JavaScript. I have less than one hour of hacking experience with the XCode 6 beta IDE but I like it a lot so far. In fact I like Swift and the new XCode enough that I am sure to do a project in Swift in the near future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives