I am moving back to the Google platform, less excited by what Apple is offering

I have been been playing with the Apple Intelligence beta’s in iPadOS and macOS and while I like the direction Apple is heading I am getting more use from Google’s Gemini, both for general analysis of very large input contexts, as well as effective integration my content in Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Docs.

While I find the latest Pixel phone to be compelling, I will stick with Apple hardware since I don’t want to take the time to move my data and general workflow to a Pixel phone. The iPhone is the strongest lock-in that Apple has on me because of the time investment to change.

The main reason I am feeling less interested in the Apple ecosystem and platform is that I believe that our present day work flows are intimately wrapped up with the effective use of LLMs, and it is crazy to limit oneself to just one or two vendors. I rely on running local models on Ollama, super fast APIs from Groq (I love Groq for running most of the better open weight models), and other APIs from Mistral, OpenAI, Google, Anthropic, and other providers.

Except for accepting part time work, I am mostly retired and for my now more limited development requirements, I am using platform agnostic web based systems like Replit with their AI coding assistant and Google Colab with Gemini assistant.

I have a lot of excellent Apple hardware that I will use until it breaks and then decide on replacement gear based on cost performance. For years I have loved the Apple ecosystem but in modern times things change so quickly and I prefer to not being strongly loyal to any particular provider.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives