My experience converting my NLP library and demo web app from Clojure to Haskell

Originally published June 20, 2014

Several years ago I took ten years of part time natural language processing (NLP) hacks in Common Lisp, Scheme, and Java and converted a useful subset to Clojure. The resulting code base was much easier to work with both because Clojure is such a clean and practical language, and also because any large scale code cleanup removes technical debt and makes for easier development.

In the last month in my spare time I took my Clojure code and converted it to Haskell. Here is the demo web app. I have about 80% of the functionality of the NLP library converted (automatic summarization, entity detection, and categorization). The Haskell web app is very simple compared to the Clojure demo web app, and I might improve the demo web app sometime but for now I am more interested in improving the functionality and accuracy of the NLP library.

Even though I am still learning Haskell I am already finding it easier to work on the NLP library using Haskell. I find both the strong type system and the quick edit + compile + run repl cycles with Emacs + Haskell to be a lot of fun and productive. On the other hand, Clojure + lib noir + compojure are hands-down my favorite tools for writing web applications. Haskell + Yesod are certainly nice to use, but I like the Clojure web stack better.

I have also been experimenting using Haskell for SPARQL client code using the HSparql library. Long term, I want to augment my Haskell NLP library to generate useful RDF from text in news articles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives