New web app for editing rich text documents (or: Rails vs. Java saga continues)

I have been experimenting with parallel development of a web app in both Ruby on Rails and Java/JSPs. I just hosted the Java version at KBdocs.com if you want to try it.

I did diverge a lot in the two parallel implementations: I ended up making the Java version for single users while the Ruby on Rails version has groups and access control lists. For fun, I also used different JavaScript rich text editing libraries for the two projects. I used a very light weight library for the Java version at KBdocs.com because I intend to leave that web application running and let people use it for online document editing. One word of warning: I don't have the export to OpenDocument format implemented yet - until I do, there will be no way to transfer your online writing to your local word processor.

Anyway, I started this project for my own use, so the Java single user (vs. groupware) version meets my needs and will be the version that I continue to work on and maintain. Anyone else is also welcome to use this web app.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives