KBdocs.com updated: added document export and search (or: sometimes it is good to be lazy)

I updated my new KBdocs.com web portal to support search and exporting all of a user's documents compressed into a ZIP file.

I only had an hour or so free today to work on this, so I got lazy: I had intended to export the rich text documents that a user keeps on the web portal as OpenDocument formatted files for OpenOffice.org, AbiWord, etc. I often read (programatically, that is) OpenDocument files: easy: it is a ZIP file, so just grab the contents, style, whatever that you need as ZIP file entries.

The problem was that it looked like a multi-hour task to take the internal rich text format used on the web portal (which is really just HTML snippets) and generate equivalent looking OpenDocument formatted document files. So, I got lazy and just bundle all of a user's documents in one ZIP file for users to download. It turns out that OpenOffice.org imports these ill-formed HTML files just fine - so, I am happy that I did not spend the time right now generating OpenDocument files.

I usually use Lucene for full text search - I love it because it so easy to work with and customize (see my KBtextmaster GPLed project for utilities to search Word, PDF, OpenOffice.org, AbiWord, etc. files with Lucene). For now, I am just using a database text search for the web portal - good enough for the short term.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives