Ubuntu Linux: job well done

After reading about Ubuntu Linux on Slashdot yesterday, I decided to burn a Live CD and try it on my dual G4 Mac desktop - very nice! For many years, KDE has been my Linux desktop/window manager - but, after seeing Gnome on Ubuntu (very well configured!), I may change my mind.

Don't get me wrong: I think that Mac OS X is the most productive operating system for my work (software design and implementation, writing). That said, I find it exciting that Free Software alternatives are getting so good. Except for being able to edit video movies, Linux comes close to OS X for just about everything that I do. Since the final target/deployment platform for just about everything that I do is a Linux server, I might decide to do more development under Linux in the future (back to the future - I did almost all of my development on Linux up until a few years ago when someone gave me a Mac OS X box).

Anyway, the Ubuntu Linux team did a fantastic job getting a good looking (great fonts!) configuration set up on the Live CD. I browsed the web with FireFox for a while, used OpenOffice.org, etc. Exciting stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller