Tomcat for Java, CheryPy for Python web apps?

I have been checking out CheryPy for a roughly "Tomcat equivalent" framework for building dynamic web apps with Python. Most of my consulting business is based on building web applications written in Java that use Tomcat for a servlet/JSP container, containing background work threads, etc.

In the last year I have been using Python more and more (especially since I spent a day at Google last March and almost every engineer I spoke with raved about Python). I still think that Java+Tomcat or Java+full J2EE stack is best for most heavy weight web apps. However, I am finding Python to be a compelling language for small and medium size projects - higher programmer productivity than Java (perhaps even a more productive language than Common Lisp). I am hoping that CheryPy will provide a platform for building small and medium scale web apps very quickly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives