Disappointed with Sun's terms on 'patent sharing' with open source

Sure, a good looking press report, but Sun is only doing the 'patent sharing' with projects licensed under their own CDDL license. CDDL is the Mozilla license with one important thing removed: a clause permitting re-license under accepted open source licenses. As many people pointed out on Slashdot this morning: these patents can not be used in Linux.

More interesting news: I read this morning that IBM is likely to release a Linux license compatible Java runtime sooner than later. This is really big because any Linux distro can then support the Java platform 'out of the box'. Cool!

I own both Sun and IBM stock, but I must say that I find IBM's management decisions in the last few years to be more to my liking than Sun's!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives