Rethinking DRM

I have my own open source projects and I release major works of my own under Creative Commons licenses. Think I am against all Digital Rights Management (DRM)? No, think again.

First, some good uses for DRM:
  • Apple's Music store - I am a happy customer and the DRM seems fair.
  • Some movies distributed on the Open Media Network require obtaining a free DRM access cookie from the publisher - why not? Most material on the OMN don't seem to use DRM, but I have enjoyed watching several Indy films that required a DRM cookie.
Sure, there are bad uses of DRM, for example:
  • Proposed PC hardware/bios changes that might make it impossible to install Linux.
I believe that owners of content should be allowed to release their own stuff under whatever license they choose. I do wish that more musicians, film makers, etc. would utilize the internet to distribute their works - but only if it makes sense for them individually. BTW: I would like express real respect for George Lucas for allowing Indy producers to create a very good non-commercial Indy Star Wars movie ("letting them play in his back yard") - check it out on OMN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives