OASIS Open Document Standard

I have been using OpenOffice.org 2.0 beta this week (wrote an article for DevX on Ruby) and it is spectacularly good. I own a Word 2000 license, but I don't even have it installed. I did use Word for two recent books - but only to save out files created by OpenOffice.org for sending to my publishers. OpenOffice.org uses the new OASIS Open Document Standard. Perhaps comparing Word 2000 to a 2005 version of OpenOffice.org is not so fair, but so it goes...

Open Document standards are such a good thing for so many reasons. The world would literally be a better place without proprietary document formats (especially Microsoft's because they seem to go out of their way to make their document formats incompatible and difficult to work with).

I think that one "killer application" of open document formats will be web based content management systems. Last year I designed and wrote a web based CMS system and dealing with Microsoft Document formats was a pain until my customer licensed dtSearch which handles a variety of document formats. For "rolling your own" support for handling a variety of document formats, see my DevX article last month on Lucene that included support for indexing and searching Microsoft, OpenOffice.org, AbiWord, etc. I also have support for this in my KBtextmaster open source project.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller