Trying the NetBeans 4.0 developer build

Public previews are not supposed to be released for a month or so, but I downloaded a developer's snapshot build during my lunch break today.

Understandably, there are some rough edges (I was unable to get a new J2EE 1.4 web app project running), but overall, I am enthusiastic: the UI looked very good, "regular Java projects" worked well (super fast build and run time for small projects).

NetBeans 4.0 will have refactoring and full web application development support. I look forward to trying version 4 again in the near future.

From a few dialog boxes, etc., I got the idea that Sun's Java Studio Creator (which I have also been playing with - looks good, but the Mac OS X beta is a little rough) definitely uses the new NetBeans codebase -- fair game: support an open source project, and also customize a proprietary version.

With IntelliJ, Eclipse, NetBeans, etc., it seems like Java developers have an embarrassment of riches.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller