Computers: low power better than faster?

Slashdot has a discussion on new VIA low power technology. I bought a Chinese PC for $199 about a year ago that uses VIA chips. This PC runs on very little power, and the single fan is small and quiet. I bought it to use as a web server.

For most computer users, I question how much processing speed is really required. Because I am now using an old Mac G4 tower (with OS X) for running my Java based web demos my Chinese PC has just been a spare computer until recently when my wife grabbed it - she likes how quiet and cool running (important when you live in Arizona!) it is. At least for $199, if I need another Linux box, I can buy a replacement instead of "negotiating" to get it back.

Anyway, even when developing Java code using IntelliJ or Eclipse, a 800 MHz $199 Chinese Linux based PC is fine. (I am using dual G4 Mac for development, because someone gave it to me as a gift - but I would trade some of that processing power for less noise and much less power consumption).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives