Sun's Java Studio Creator, other web app development tools

While I still do most of my Java development using a year old version of IntelliJ, I invest a fair amount of time in checking out other tools. Last night and this morning, I have spent some time with Sun's Java Studio Creator.

First, a few things that might make Java Studio Creator not the right tool for me:
  • Most of my JSP based web applications are not "run of the mill" forms connected to a database applications. I tend to combine JSPs with Java classes that generate HTML, work with Javascript, etc. The solution to this mis-match would be for me to develop more reusable components as custom tag libraries, etc.
  • Java Studio Creator is tailored as a web application development system - I have not tried using it for non-UI, non-web app development. I tend to write and test most of the back end code for a web application before starting on the web based UI. If I end up using Java Studio Creator a lot, I will still probably use other IDEs like IntelliJ or Eclipse to write and unit test plain-old-Java-code.
I have also been spending some time trying MyEclipse (an inexpensive commercial product - an add-in for Eclipse for web app development).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives