Web app development work: plain Tomcat vs. JBoss?

I just about totally base my Java consulting business on Tomcat (almost all of my work is in developing web applications). When I need a J2EE component (e.g., JMS) I use an external high quality open source package (e.g., JoNAS JMS). Instead of EJBs, I simply write and debug "middle-ware" code for accessing data sources, business logic, etc. After it is working, then I do the presentation layer with JSPs and struts (old fashioned stuff :-)

Even though it is not as light weight as plain Tomcat, I am considering switching over to using JBoss 4.01 as my standard development and deployment platform and always have the full J2EE stack available. I have not personally used JBoss clustering yet, but from what I hear it is stable. I have never been a huge fan of EJBs but by annotations like XDoclet makes using EJBs fairly simple.

Anyway, development and deployment computers are so much faster than they were back when I started doing server side Java development that I might as well just have the whole J2EE stack available. (Sort of like when I code in Common Lisp: I like to load an image that has just about *everything* that I have ever written in it :-)

I would like to hear from other consultants and get their opinions (which I might summarize here if I get enough responses).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives