Has Novell screwed up SuSE Linux?

OK, I am irritated: I installed SuSE 9.1 Personal a while back - looked good at the time. Today I needed to test Python stuff for Zope/Plone under Linux: I discovered that SuSE 9.1 Personal does not include the GCC C Compiler! I am hunting around the web for SuSE 9.1 RPMs for GCC -- what a hassle!

I can not believe that any Linux distribution would not include a C compiler.

I think that I am going to just wipe 9.1 and install from my old 8.1 personal CDROM. ... or, maybe invest an hour and do a Debian install.

PS. I ended up just burning a CDR containing RPMs from a SuSE mirror FTP site for gcc, gcc libs, and emacs - and stored this CDR with my SuSE personal install CD. I am still a fan of SuSE, but I still find it annoying to not include a C compiler with even a trimmed down Linux distribution.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives