I must have been crazy using Linux on my desktop

Actually, I use Windows/Linux/OS X as needed, but since I deploy and use Linux servers, for quite a while I just used Linux most of the time. That (temporarily?) changed when my publisher (for the Ruby book that I am writing) requested that I use Word and their templates. I usually use OpenOffice.org but since I own Word licenses for Windows and OS X, I gave each a quick try again and decided that Microsoft did a better job writing a word processor for someone else's operating system :-)

In this process, I just updated my trusty old dual 1GHz G4 tower to OS X 10.4 and as much as I am a Linux fan I must admit that for writing, using IntelliJ for Java development, and developing in Ruby, OS X really is more productive than Linux. The OS X X11 support is good, so accessing my Linux servers can be done via X11 or SSH. So, I love Linux, but logic dictates that OS X makes a better development desktop - even when developing web applications to be deployed on Linux.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives