DRM, Apple's Music Store, Google Video

While I support Open Source and free Open Content (see my main web site for my contributions to the 'commons'), I don't see anything wrong at all with Digital Rights Management (DRM) when it is properly implemented, and is just for non-work related entertainment.

I have just had a good experience with Apple's iTunes music store DRM: in the past I have just bought music and I have been happy so far. My daughter and son in law gave me an iTunes gift card recently and I decided to purchase some videos instead of music for a change: an old Alfred Hitchcock TV show and the Battle Star Galactica miniseries. These can be backed up to a CDR or DVD-R just like music, and installed on another computer in your house (up to 5 computers). Anyway, I bought the videos on my old dual-G4 Mac tower, and also 'authorized' them to play on my Windows laptop. So far, very cool. It is also great to watch TV shows without the commercials.

I am still not so happy with Google Video but I noticed that it does seem to work better with Windows than a Mac. I searched for "sci-fi" and played several free 2 to 4 minute clips, which were nice, but I am still looking for a full length movie that I want to buy. I have been increasingly unhappy with the value from our cable TV provider, and coupled with my OK experience with NetFlix (so far), I am thinking of dropping premium cable channels and relying more on NetFlix rentals and rentals/purchases from the internet. So, while I am still a little dissapointed with Google Video, I am rooting for them and other providers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives