Suggestions for Python SDK and AppEngine

Partly because I don't often code in Python, I have been feeling some pain using the Python AppEngine SDK. I thought that I would pass on a few things that have made the process easier for me:
  • Use an IDE. I have been using PyCharm but other people have mentioned liking Eclipse with the Python and AppEngine plugins. Live hints when I get a local variable name wrong, suggestions to automatically import one of my own modules, and autocompletion have really helped. If I were more familiar with Python and the Python AppEngine SDK then this would not be as beneficial.
  • Unit tests: I have been using gaeunit.py to support unit testing and that has been helpful. I get all of the model code and controller helper functions working and tested before doing the UI
  • I find that the default Python SDK template engine (from Django) to be adequate and to be fairly easy to use.
  • I have found Mark C. Chu-Carroll's book Code in the Cloud, Programming Google AppEngine to be a useful tutorial.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding to IDEs, I can recommend Eclipse (and PyDev extension). PyDev has some ready to use procedures for Django and GAE development.
    BTW, for web developing there are some customized environments for eclipse. I personally like "Aptana studio" :
    http://www.aptana.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller