Christmas came early: my Google TV arrived at 7pm tonight

Setting it up took 45 minutes because it immediately downloaded a new version of the OS when I set up the wireless Internet connection. I use Directv and it synced up with my DVR and Sony TV with no problems. The keyboard is nice, with a trackpad and mouse button top right corner. It is much nicer using the keyboard rather than the remote for Directv guide and DVR control.

I have experimented with writing Android cellphone apps with the SDK and now I want to try some HTML 5 apps for both the Android cellphones and Google TV. Fun! I had a consulting job two years ago writing some Java blu-ray example apps and the development environment for that was, frankly, painful. Both Android and Google TV seem much more developer-friendly.

You personalize Google TV by logging into your Google/GMail/Apps account. I had to enter my account information multiple times for Youtube.com and Picasa photo albums. There are some wrinklles to iron out but the platform has a lot of promise.

We watched part of a Netflix movie on demand and it looked good. I have a Hulu Plus account but when I went to Hulu I got a pop up dialog warning me that Hulu is building out for Plus access on Google TV. I am looking forward to that because Hulu Plus is a pretty good service. Along with all of the Directv and Netflix material, it seems like there is an infinite amount of good stuff to watch.

A few improvements I look forward to:
  • When looking at my Picasa photo albums it seemed like the Google TV did not cache-ahead very well. I would like a picture to stay on screen until the next one is ready.
  • When watching one of my wife's documentaries for a charity she helps, Youtube playback was pretty good because we uploaded a fairly lowres video to Youtube and it played back smoothly. I then tried one of my videos on Youtube that was fairly hires and there were too many pauses for buffering. Also, if I paused the video it did not seem to buffer ahead like on my laptop.
I am very excited with the Google TV platform and I thank Google for giving me a free Logitech unit. I am not always good at predicting which nacent technologies succeed in the marketplace but to me, at least, the Android platform and the Google TV built on very similar technology show a lot of promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives