My Objectify-Appengine setup

I wrote last week on using Objectify-Appengine to decrease the Google AppEngine request loading time. I did not mention my development setup so I'll do that now, hopefully saving you some time:

Start by building a JAR file from the latest source:
svn checkout http://objectify-appengine.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ objectify-appengine-read-only
cd objectify-appengine-read-only
ant
You should now have a JAR file in target/objectify-508.jar (build number may be different for you). I use IntelliJ and after setting up a fresh AppEngine project, I copy in the generated Objectify JAR file and delete some of the generated JAR files so I have the following JAR files in web/WEB-INF/lib:
geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec-1.1.1.jar
appengine-api-labs-1.3.2.jar
objectify-508.jar
This is all you need. You can then follow the examples in the Objectify Wiki. You should re-think your data modeling, away from a relational database mindset. The AppEngine data store may seem limiting from a programming perspective but its scalability and performance advantages make the learning curve very worthwhile.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller