A great way to get around the long loading request times on AppEngine
I think that Python AppEngine apps have the fastest cold request load times but I am not Python developer (very rusty!). I tried a Java app and the load times were very much better that JRuby, but then I ran across a great project that reduces the load time for Java apps by not using JDO and instead using the light weight objectify-appengine project. I am not sure what is the best way to accurately measure cold loading request times except for letting an app get swapped out (wait a few minutes with no requests) and manually time a browser refresh. Anyway, it looks like my loading request times using objectify-appengine are now almost always about a second with the worse time that that I measured being just over two seconds. The URL for my AppEngine experiment is my-focus.appspot.com.
The obvious problem with this "solution" is that it takes me about twice as long to develop a JSP based web app than using Rails or Sinatra. Still, if you want to get good performance with and reduce costs on AppEngine, then I feel that you need to conform to the requirements of the platform. Perhaps occasionally giving up the use of a favorite programming language and web framework is well worth the effort. (BTW, the loading request time is not much of a problem with Scala either but it is with Clojure - not quite as much overhead for initialization as JRuby but cold loading request times are about 10 seconds for me.)