Meta object protocol in Lisp and Ruby

One thing that I like about Common Lisp and Ruby is the ability to examine class definitions, etc. at runtime. I have several model classes in a Common Lisp application and I want to implement a web services API for my application that in some cases returns model objects to the requester.

I wrote a very short utility function today that takes any class instance looks up all of the slot names, and then gets the slot values. I output to an XML stream.

I don't have to manually change any code to marshall any of my classes to XML if I change the model class definitions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives