Ruby 'duck typing' addiction

I just had another reminder why I like late binding and flexible typing so much: I had written a handy little utility in Ruby for collecting some data, writing to an open file as data was collected and processed. Initially, I thought: why buffer everything in memory? Then I had the need to use the same functionality to dynamically generate a download from a web app, but I did not have to change any code: I need to collect text and send it out in a Rails controller (instead of using a view) back to a client web browser - I needed in-memory data, not a local file.

Well, since both String and File classes support << (which is what I used in the first version of the code for writing to an open file), I did not have to change any code since I could just pass in an empty string instead of an open file, and return what used to the a file descriptor (instead of closing it) as the value of the accumulated text. Try that in Java or C++ :-)

Anyway, not a big deal, but it did save me refactoring some old code for a new use, saving a few minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives