Flickr and Netflix web portals, etc.

Work wise, working on interactive read/write web portals is one of the most fun things I do (in addition to artificial intelligence stuff). I have to admit more than a little professional jealousy whenever, as a consumer, I use the Netflix and Flickr portals. Beautifully done.

As a developer, I feel like I have the server side plumbing down cold, but I really need to perfect my Javascript skills. One thing that I feel that has really helped me in the last year is cutting down on the number of programming languages that I use: except for some of my personal AI research and a few smaller contracting jobs, I have been just using Ruby and Java. It is difficult to largely give up Common Lisp, Prolog and Scheme, but except for a major runtime performance hit, Ruby really is good enough for most of the stuff that I do and I think Ruby on Rails and server side Java is all I need for web development. Ruby and Java nicely cover my requirements for programming languages because they tend to be very good for different tasks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives