Making time for personal projects

I have been swamped with work lately, so I have been OK with pushing back two personal projects that have been 'itching' for while: a re-write and updating of my free Java AI web book to use Ruby and a free web portal for sharing healthy recipes (macrobiotic, vegetarian, low meat, etc.). I am hoping to have some free time after this summer, so I will put off deciding which personal project actually gets done until then. Right now, I am leaning towards doing the recipe web portal because my wife recovered from cancer and I believe that a macrobiotic diet helped her - I would feel great about promoting organic food and healthier eating habits. Also, I believe that I could write a very good web portal for cooking and recipes because I can leverage:
  • a strong interest in cooking
  • Ruby on Rails to facilitate a writing a database backed (with AJAX support) web application
  • a few clever ideas to use limited case based reasoning to help people use what ever ingredients that they have on hand
Anyway, my consulting work comes first, but I still like to plan for personal projects even if I can't get to them for a while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives