Code refactoring and cleaning out the garage

My wife and I did a major garage cleanout this morning. We have a general rule: anything that has not been used for a year or two years goes to the Good Will charity (or the recyclers, or the trash - in that order). The same rule is not so bad for software systems also :-)

I made a small mistake recently while refactoring code in a large system written by other people. Refactoring is a functionality-preserving activity. It is usually a mistake to try to add functionality while refactoring; rather, we should make small changes with lots of intermediate testing in order to minimize debugging time (i.e., make one or two changes at atime, and is is more obvious what caused a new bug). I added some functionality to the system that I was refactoring and in the end, I think that it took me more time than breaking this process into two pieces: refactoring, then adding functionality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives