Sony e-Book with electronic paper

This device from Sony should be popular with people who commute without driving. I used my Apple Newton like an eBook when I commuted for a year from San Diego to San Francisco (technical lead on a fraud detection expert system for PacBell). The Newton was expensive and ill suited for use as an eBook. The new Sony device looks just about perfect: digital paper technology is easy to read in full sun light or indoors and the device is only 1/2 inch thick. Last year my toy purchase was a Sony Portable Play Station and this year it will probably be a Sony e-Book reader.

The Sony Reader also works with PDFs and plain text. In the last few years I have more frequently offered both static and dynamically generated PDFs of content on web portals that I work on. The ability to have a watch list of web sites, automatically gather material for a device like a Sony Reader sounds like a winner. Not counting play time on Slashdot, Reddit, etc., I usually have to spend several hours a week reading papers and other technical information from the web. The Sony Reader looks like a better alternative to balancing a laptop or (what I often do) print material in draft mode for offline reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives