Recent evaluations of web frameworks while on vacation

My wife Carol and I have been visiting family in Rhode Island this week and since our grandkids are in school on weekdays, I have had a lot of time to spend writing the fourth edition of my Java AI book and also catching up on reevaluating web frameworks.

Although my main skill sets are in data/text mining, general artificial intelligence work and Java server side development, I do find myself spending a lot of time also writing web applications. In the last few years, I have done a lot of work with Rails (and some Sinatra), GWT, and most recently with SmartGWT because one of my customers really liked SmartGWT's widgets. (Note: if you are in the San Jose area and want to work on a SmartGWT project with me, please email me!)

For my own use, because I have strong Java and Ruby skills, the combination of Rails, GWT, and SmartGWT works very well for me when I need to write a web app.

That said, I have spent time this week playing with Google's Closure Javascript tools and less time with ClojureScript that uses Google's Closure. Frankly, both Closure and ClojureScript look fantastic, but I have a personal bias against making Javascript development a career and although ClojureScript works around this issue by compiling a nice subset of Clojure to Javascript I am concerned that the market for developing with ClojureScript is probably small. If you do want to write Lisp code on the server and client side definitely spend a few evenings playing with ClojureScript because it may be a good fit for you. I have also recently had a good experience with Clojure and the Noir web framework.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives