Notes on converting an GWT + AppEngine web app using Objectify to a plain GWT + MongoDB web app

There has been a lot of noise in blog-space criticizing Google for the re-pricing of AppEngine services. I don't really agree with a lot of the complaints because it seems fair for Google to charge enough to make AppEngine a long term viable business.

That said, I have never done any customer work targeting the AppEngine platform because no one has requested it. (Although I have enthusiastically used AppEngine for some of my own projects and I have written several AppEngine and Wave specific articles.) I still host KnowledgeBooks.com on AppEngine.

I wrote a GWT + AppEngine app for my own use about a year ago, and since I always have at least one EC2 instance running for my own experiments and development work I decided to move my app. It turns out that converting my app is fairly easy using these steps:
  • Copy my IntelliJ project, renaming it and removing AppEngine facets and libraires.
  • Add the MongoDB Java required JARs
  • I had all of my Objectify datastore operations in a single utility class on the server side - I converted this to use MongoDB
Sure, a complex application would take a while, but my app only has 6 model classes (all POJOs) so the whole process took less than 90 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives