Wave may end up being the new Internet coolness

I continue having fun "kicking the tires." I do wish that I had a completely local Wave robot development environment, but I expect that will be forthcoming. The edit, compile, run cycle takes a while because I need to:
  • Modify robot code
  • Build and upload the code to Java AppEngine
  • Create new test waves, invite the robot, etc.
The development cycle for Gadgets is quicker if you can simply remotely edit a Gadget XML file on whatever server you use to publish it.

I am having a bit of an AppEngine performance issue. I am used to being able to cache (reasonably) static data in memory (loaded from JAR files in WEB-INF/lib). With AppEngine your web app can run on any server and web app startup time should be very quick (and doing on-startup data loading into memory from JAR files is not quick). I am not so happy doing this, but I may keep frequently used static data in the data store. I don't think that using JCache + memcached is an option because if I look up a key and it is not in memcached I don't know if the key is not defined or if the key has expired from memcached.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives