Good article on the economies of scale

Although this article on Google and cloud computing sounds like a bit of an advertisement (it is!) it is also a good read. There is no way that individuals and all but a few companies can compete with Google on cost per computing unit (CPU, memory, data storage).

I am a huge fan of Amazon's EC2 services: easy to use and very flexible. I am not sure how well this will work, but I want to try using Amazon's Elastic MapReduce to produce data for a Java of App Engine application that I hope to have time to write in the next month or two (MyThingsOfInterest.com, that I mentioned in my last blog). Amazon charges for bandwidth reading from S3 and there will be a cost pushing data into Google's App Engine data store. It may well not make sense, cost wise, to split a system between two competing platforms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller