Apache Mahout Scalable Machine Learning first public release

The Mahoot project has just made their first public release of scalable machine learning tools for the Hadoop platform. With Amazon's Elastic MapReduce, it is possible (for example) to make an 8 server instance 1 hour run for about a dollar - combined with Mahoot, I think that this is really going to open the door for individuals and small organizations to more effectively use machine learning. Good stuff! I have started to take a quick look at the code but I won't have time to try it out on Elastic MapReduce for a few weeks (I am finishing the last Chapter of my Intelligent Scripting for Web 3.0 book and then I have some production work to do - so no free time for a while!)

It is interesting in life how things often come together just when you need them. I have a business idea that I want to pursue using EC2 and Mahout will probably help with a small part of the system.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller