Review of Nokia N800 'web pad'

A N800 is a very small device that uses WiFi to access the web, including good support for Google GMail and instant messaging, and has a built in video camera.

Although it is a very nice device, I have two issues with it:
  • I thought that it came with video conferencing software (from what I just read, I need to wait a few months for additional software to be available).
  • The screen is very small - the resolution is a tasty 800x480, but the physical size is small. I find myself holding it about 14 inches from my eyes - probably too close to avoid eyestrain with long uninterrupted use.
I bought it for portability for reading both online technical material and fun stuff like Slashdot and reddit - without having to hold a laptop. After using it for about 1 hour I became very used to it. Also, did I mention that it runs Linux :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives