Can't believe I missed this Unix utility: screen

I have been using Unix systems for over 20 years: I can't believe I missed the Unix screen utility for using multiple screens in a shell window. (I was browsing the web late last night on my new N800 web pad, and saw a post on Digg about screen - I tried it first thing this morning when I turned on my laptop.)

Here is a short introduction to its use
but all you really need to know to get started is to run the program, use control-a c to create new views, control-a a to send a control-a to a running program (useful for emacs :-) and use control-a n and control-a p to cycle through "next" and "previous screens.

Screen comes pre-installed on OS X and is an easy install on Linux if your distro does not already include it. If you love the command line, screen is definitely worth a few minutes of experimentation to see how you like it.

Comments

  1. If you like screen, you will really like this:
    http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/01/03/byobu-a-shortcut-to-a-prettier-screen/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller