Deploying a Squeak + Seaside web application to a Linux server in 3 easy steps

I am sure that most developers who have tried DabbleDB have experimented with the web framework Seaside that DabbleDB is built with. I have worked through Seaside tutorials several times in the last couple of years and last month I wanted to deploy a tiny Seaside based experiment to one of my leased Linux servers. It took a short while to get it deployed because I didn't get it right the first time, so here are the simple steps that I eventually used:
  • Get your Seaside application running interactively in Squeak; make sure the WAKom service is running on a desired port number with:
    WAKom startOn: 9090
    and save image and quit Squeak. Do not stop WAKom before saving your image and quitting Squeak.
  • ZIP up your image and source changes:
    zip -9 -r seaside_running_image.zip Squeak3.9-final-7067.*
    copy to your Linux server, and unzip in your Linux Squeak directory.
  • Run Squeak in headless mode:
    nohup squeak -headless Squeak3.9-final-7067.image &
OK, maybe that was more than 3 steps. If you should ever need to do a scalable deployment Ramon Leon's directions look good but I have not tried them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives