The genius of Jerry Weinberg

In the 1970s when I started professional software development there was one book that changed the way I viewed my job: The Psychology of Computer Programming

I was working at a large company and being right out of college I was surprised at the political nature of work. I was also surprised how difficult it seemed for people (including myself!) to see errors in their own work. Anyway reading this book over 30 years ago had a great positive effect on my career.

I saw a reference recently to another of Jerry's books: The Secrets of Consulting

I have been working, mostly out of a home office, as a consultant for about 10 years. Although I really enjoy consulting because of the variety of projects, consulting does have its drawbacks. I am not quite done reading Jerry's new book but it has already given me good insights into my chosen profession, mostly dealing with realizing what I don't know and new ways of thinking about the non-technical aspects of consulting. Excellent!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives