Long term AI job: what language to use?

I have a pleasant decision to make: I am going to soon startup a long term consulting job and I have been given some flexibility in programming languages to use. I am fairly sure that I am going to use Ruby for all utilities for file handling, data conversion, etc. and use Common Lisp for the main AI component. I made a strong pitch for doing the web interface using Ruby on Rails, but my bit is the back end AI work, so I don't care too much what other people on the project use. I am still considering doing the AI part in Ruby also, but I am a little concerned about performance issues. I have also heard strong rumors that an awesome knowledge representation system PowerLoom that is available in Java, Lisp, and C++ might be open sourced. PowerLoom is a great framework - in the past I have only experimented with it because of its non-commercial license; if it is open sourced, I think that will change the landscape quite a bit for choosing frameworks for AI projects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives