New open source project: Ruby Message System

I have relied on guarenteed delivery asynchronous messaging to build
large scale systems for 20 years. I was surprised when I could not find
something simular to Java's JMS for Ruby so I decided to build my own
and release the server under a GPL license and the client libraries
under a LGPL license. When I have code to release it will be in the
usual place (www.markwatson.com/opensource).

If I am reinventing the wheel, please let me know! I only plan on
implementing what I need, but maybe when there is a public code base
other people might contribute. This project is in the planning stage
right now. Here are some rough notes:

1. unlike Java JMS, there is currently no planned support for publish
and subscribe

2. the primary data structure of RMS is a shared collection of named
message queues

3. there is currently no planned support for security: it is
anticipated that enterprise applications will use RMS behind a
firewall. very limited security will be provided by an optional
configuration file that specifies allowed IPs for clients.

4. operations supported:

create_queue(name)
delete_queue(name)
send_message(queue, message)
register_listener(queue, a_listener)

note: a_listener object must be able to respond to the message:

receive_message(message)

5. sent messages are persisted using a database or a flat file and must
be serializable

6. once a message is delivered to all registered listeners for a queue
the message is deleted from persistent store

7. eventually, I would like to support transparent interoperability
with ActiveMQ via stump so Ruby code could interoperate with systems
written in different languages that use ActiveMQ.

I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, etc.

PS. I was planning on using the stump system for accessing the Java ActiveMQ JMS server but after receiving a recommendation from someone for the stump ruby bindings and ActiveMQ I think that I will experiment with ActiveMQ - it is not too much trouble to keep ActiveMQ running on one of my private servers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller