flickr: coolest web portal?

A good friend of mine has been recommending flickr.com for a while and I set up a site with public pictures of Sedona, my family, etc..

Flickr is close to "desktop application functionality". Since I use so many different computers for my work, I like relying on web apps like flickr, gmail, del.itios.us, etc. And with all of my work and writing materials stored one of my servers with CVS, I have the freedom to work just about anywhere.

For just about anything I do on the internet I have sufficient bandwidth. I do look forward to improvements in reducing network latency that will make using web portals and web applications even more compelling. There are drawbacks: for example, saleforce.com had a recent outage that affected some customers for a while - that is the drawback to outsourcing your business infrastructure. Still, I think that the convenience of well implemented web portals trumps any sporadic access problems.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives