Why Windows irritates me

OK, a little complaining here: I lost almost an hour of work today because I relied on the Windows "search" utility to find all files containing a specific string in some nested directories. Windows "search" found some occurrences, but skipped all the files with a "*.wm" extension because it thought that these WebMacro text files were Windows Media files. Arhggg....

Sure, this problem was my fault for not being more familiar with Windows' quirks, but this is still annoying.

BTW, if you *must* use Windows, one of my customers pointed me to a good utility: TextPad which is a good programmable editor with lots of built in tools. Well worth the money. (TextPad searched inside the WebMacro files just fine :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives