Kai-Fu Lee's move from Microsoft to Google

I bought a copy of Kai-Fu Lee's PhD thesis almost 20 years ago: brilliant work on a speech recognition system called Sphinx. Kai-Fu Lee is one of several high profile tech people who have left Microsoft recently. Microsoft has money and a tight grip on the desktop, but I wonder about their ability to move into new product spaces: buying other companies only gets you so far. Linux is basically old technology: unix clone and X Windows (which I have been using for close to 20 years) - but, Linux is free. Disagree if you will, but I think that the next version of Windows will end up being a success or failure tipping point for the entire company. To me the telling point is that Microsoft has to stop supporting older versions of Windows to force customers to upgrade - a bit of a cliche, but they are their own best competitor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives