SWT and Java: a good combination

I spent a little play time this afternoon writing two simple SWT Java standalone applications. It took about 15 minutes to get Eclipse set up properly (a little annoying), but once I corrected my mistakes, it was easy to build and run SWT standalone applications.

I don't have time for this today, but I would very much like to try out using GNU gcj + SWT to build native applications. One problem I have with this idea is that the GNU gcj libraries are huge, so I wonder how large a simple standalone application that is statically linked would be. I would settle for 5 MB or less :-)

On OS X, the SWT runtime JAR and JNILIB files total about 1.2 MB - not bad.

There are two good articles on using GCJ and SWT (search for "Kirk Vogen gcj SWT" to find them).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives