Using Firefox client, server side Java for a standard platform

I do get tired of supporting multiple browsers when writing interactive web applications. Life would be simpler, especially when trying to write "sort of fat client applications" (e.g., Javascript+HTML like GMail) to have a single platform for client and server: only support Mozilla Firefox on the client side and tailor a development environment with appropriate tag libraries, etc. for dealing with Firefox (e.g., dynamic tree displays, standard Javascript utilities for verifying form input, etc.)

Now, while I consider myself to be an excellent Java, Common Lisp, Python, and Prolog programmer, I am admitedly a little weak using Javascript. For Javascript gurus, my desire for a single standard web browser client probably seems a little lazy :-)

There is a lot of push-back in industry for not supporting the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser, but I would argue that installing Mozilla Firefox is a fairly light weight requirement for using a specific web application.

I often look for commercially available software components to reduce development costs. Most of the systems that I write for customers run on a single server and have a modest number of users so reasonable licensing costs can be a lot cheaper than extra labor costs for devlopment. I have a wish-list for Firefox extensions for form input, inline rich text editors, spreadsheet components, etc. If developers of useful Firefox extensions had a larger market (i.e., lots of web sites and web applications standardized on Firefox) then the cost per component would go down, and everyone but Microsoft wins.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives