Disruptive web technologies

This has been a good morning for playing with some new (for me) stuff. First, one of my favorite customers sent me a link about Yahoo buying Konfabulator and giving it away for free. Konfabulator is a light weight Javascript based widget container for Windows and Mac.

I think that there will be real advantages to using Konfabulator style widgets as alternative access points to web services (can maintain local state, etc.) - HTML and AJAX is great, but also supporting widgets seems like a low cost way to extend the value of web servics. I am working (when I can break away from my consulting business) on a knowledge-intensive healthy food/recipes web portal and adding a Konfabulator widget interface seems like a good idea but with one problem: no way to generate revenue from advertisements (at least not easily like adding Google Ads).

Anyway, Konfabulator will be great for Yahoo as a new way for users to access their information sources and web utilities. I must say that Yahoo has been generally impressive lately. I am considering switching to their calendar web portal for organizing business and personal events. When I was exclusively using Macs, iCalendar did the trick, but I am looking for something more cross platform.

I also looked at MSN Virtual Earth this morning: lots of fun inspecting my local hiking trails while in bed with a cup of coffee :-)

Several years ago I wrote a book on J2EE ("Sun One Services") in which I hyped-up the possibilities for developers to think in terms of developing web portals instead of fat client applications. With more use of AJAX, things like Konfabulator widgets, and with a lower latency (more important than more bandwidth to me) Internet, web portals are looking to be a less expensive approach to running information-intensive businesses and a great way to start a small company for relatively little money.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives