Getting set up to work on the 4th edition of my Java Artificial Intelligence book

For the 3rd edition, I used Eclipse for both development of the Java examples and to prepare the Latex manuscript (using the Eclipse Latex plugin TeXlipse).

I really prefer using IntelliJ for Java development and TeXShop (Mac OS X only) for editing Latex files so I just converted my writing setup.

I have a fairly good idea of what new topics I want to cover but I am still deciding what material from the 3rd edition I want to remove.

Since I released the 3rd edition over three years ago, I have averaged about 300 downloads of the free PDF version a day with a few sales of the print edition each month. I like making a free version available for people to read and generating traffic for my web site where I advertise my consulting services is great. Unfortunately, in the last couple of years when I see my book in search results it is very often on someone else's web site which violates the conditions of the Creative Commons non-commercial use license for the PDF version of my book.

My Latex setup supports output of PDF, HTML, and HTML with automatically generated embedded Google ads. I might change my mind, but I think that the free version of the 4th edition will be HTML pages on my web site, perhaps with a few Google ads, but probably not. I'll continue to sell print copies of my book on Lulu and also offer a PDF version for a few dollars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives